Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Latest and Greatest

Today, I walked to CHOP. Slow. Contractions. Slower. More Contractions. By the time I got there, my hips felt icky and my feet ached. The midwife told me I am now 2 cm dilated, 80% effaced and -1 station. For those of you who don't know what that means, long story short, Zoe wants out! Active labor begins at 4 cm and 100% effacement, so we're nearing the finish - or starting line, depending on how you look at it.

The doctors are hoping I go into labor naturally, so they've moved the induction date to Tuesday, May 11. If I haven't gone into labor by then, I'm to report to CHOP at 7 a.m. on the 11th.

I've met some wonderfully supportive heart moms while out here at CHOP. Tomorrow we are meeting up as a group at the hospital. I am very much looking forward to meeting the moms who have and are currently walking my looming path. I admire and find strength in each one of them. The Today Show was at CHOP yesterday filming one of my fellow heart mom's story and her daughter Mia's surgery - performed by our surgeon, Dr. Spray. No air date has been announced, but I will update as soon as I find out. The segment will put HLHS and congenital heart defects in the public eye and help raise awareness for congenital heart defects. The program coordinator with the Fetal Heart Program is hoping that it will help other parents who are faced with the decision to terminate or continue their pregnancy, to be fully aware that their is HOPE for HLHS babies and children. CHOP's motto is "Hope lives here" and it really, truly does.

Over the last several weeks, I have been taking in the City of Philadelphia. I really do like it here. In reflection, I've jotted down a few of my favorite things:

MY TOP TEN PHILLY LIST:

10. Philly Car Share. You don't need a car, you just borrow one for a few hours for a nominal fee.

9. The "City of Brotherly Love." We've found that, for the most part, the City is filled with wonderful and polite individuals.

8. Shopping, groceries, parks and recreation - all within walking distance!

7. New restaurants to explore. Over the past few weeks, we've enjoyed exploring and trying a slew of new restaurants. Some of our favorites include Barclay Prime, Distrito, Marigold Kitchen, El Vez, Del Frisco's, White Dog Cafe and Bobby's Burger Palace (a Bobby Flay burger joint.) All delicious!

6. Spring time in the City! The weather is beautiful and the greenery and flowers are gorgeous. So very different than Phoenix, Arizona!

5. Diversity and Culture. Again, so very, very different than Arizona. I'd love to plop Gov. Brewer in the heart of Philly and watch her head spin!

4. Mass transit. I love being able to hop on a bus or trolley and get nearly anywhere in the City.

3. The Farmer's Markets. The market by our house occurs every Saturday and I always buy fresh cut flowers from the sweet Amish couple. Each time they hand me my flowers the say, "Smile, it's what it's all about." I love them (and their flowers!) The organic produce, homemade chocolates and Shoo-fly Pie doesn't hurt either.

2. Architecture and History. Center City, the heart of Philadelphia is amazing. We've visited many of the historical sites and gaze at the beautiful buildings.

1. The top-ranked, one and only, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (aka CHOP!) Did you know CHOP was the first pediatric hospital in our nation, opening its doors in 1855?

If you haven't been to Philly before, do visit. I suggest sometime during the month of May!

Next time you read the blog, you may just get an "I'M IN LABOR!" message.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are having a good time in Philly and trying new restaurants (Isn't that the best part of being in a new city??? Food!)! Miss you like crazy, Miss Stace and sending you, Caleb, Emmy and Zoe much love.

    ReplyDelete