Sunday, September 11, 2011

Emerson - We Will Never Forget...

Today, on September 11, 2011 - ten years after the horrific events of 9/11 - I thought I'd share with you how Emerson got her name.

Like most of us, I was glued to the television set for the days and weeks that followed September 11, 2001. I watched heart-wrenching stories with tears in my eyes. I had nightmares that I was trapped beneath steel and rubble, even though I was thousands of miles away in California. One of the stories I will never forget was that of Emerson Glick.

Emerson was 12 weeks old when her daddy became a national hero. Jeremy Glick, a name you may recall, was aboard United Flight 93 - the flight intended for the White House. Jeremy, with help from a few fellow passengers, managed to overpower the terrorists. Whether it be by force, or otherwise, we'll never really know. The story of the little girl who would never grow up to meet her daddy tore my heart out. From that moment on, I vowed to name my first daughter, Emerson - after Jeremy's little girl.

(Jeremy and his daughter, Emerson)

On the tenth anniversary of 9/11, please take some time out of your day and remember those who lost their lives, and their families who lost a loved one, on that fateful day.

My Emerson is a reminder to me every day; I will never forget.

I'll leave you with the following link to a special report, from Emerson Glick herself, writing about one of our nation's heroes - her daddy, Jeremy - and how she received her name, "Emerson."

http://myhero.com/go/hero.asp?hero=J_Glick2_LC_srds_US_2010

2 comments:

  1. Stacey
    I was 34 weeks pregnant on September 11, 2001. Just like you, I was glued to the television for days after and will never forget seeing the story about the Glick family for the first time.
    Thank you so much for posting the report from Emerson Glick. My Emerson and I just read it together.
    Sincerely,
    Cayce
    Georgetown, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rowan shares Emerson's birthday - June 18th. What an honor :)

    Megan (won't let me post under my google account so I selected "anonymous"

    ReplyDelete